The Amesbury Cultural Council recently awarded $12,608 in grant funding to local individuals, artists and organizations through the Massachusetts Cultural Council’s (MCC) annual grant program. Applicants can apply for grant funding to support projects, programs, events, operations, capital projects, fellowships and more, provided that the funding will be used for something related to arts, humanities and sciences, has a public benefit, and is local to Amesbury.
The Cultural Council met in December to review all of the applications and vote on which applicants would receive funding. Some applications received full funding while others received partial funding. Applicants who did not receive funding were notified mid-December, and then applicants who will receive funding were notified in January. Grantees have the rest of 2020 to request reimbursement for their project or program.
“We were thrilled to be able to support so many projects and events through the MCC grant program this year. The 22 grant recipients will use these funds for events around arts and music, educational programs, free ticket programs, and more,” stated Shannon Carroll, co-chair of the Amesbury Cultural Council. “The grant process is really exciting for us, and also difficult. We love reading through all of the applications, and we wish we were able to fund everything. We’re looking forward to seeing the results of these 22 grantees this year.”
The 22 grant recipients for the 2020 grant program are:
- Amesbury Carriage Museum – Aperture on Amesbury
- Amesbury Carriage Museum – Amesbury Family Day
- Amesbury Carriage Museum – Amesbury Vintage Car Exhibit
- Amesbury Chamber of Commerce – Market Square Piano
- Amesbury Community Theater – Studio Renovations
- Amesbury Council on Aging – Jumpin’ Juba Concert
- Amesbury Middle School – Stalling Hate
- Amesbury Public Library – Mom’s WWII Letters
- Amesbury Public Library – Nappy’s Puppets
- Amesbury Public Library – Small Acts of Art / Second Nature Art
- Amesbury Youth Recreation – African Dance and Music at Kid’s Day in the Park
- Davis Bates – A Celtic Celebration: Performance for Seniors
- Firehouse Center for the Arts – Helping Hands Ticket Voucher Program
- MUSICDance.edu – Hip Hop Around the World
- Newburyport Chamber Music Festival
- Newburyport Choral Society – NCS Spring Concert 2020: Elijah
- Newburyport Documentary Film Festival
- Outdoor Sculpture at Maudslay 2020
- Rita Parisi – Women of ‘76
- Pentucket Arts Foundation – 17th Annual A Cappella Night
- Roger Tincknell – Beatles and Beyond
- Town of Salisbury – Salisbury Art Stroll
“It’s really wonderful to have an active Cultural Council in Amesbury; a group of dedicated volunteers whose mission is to increase arts and culture in our City. The Massachusetts Cultural Council grant program supports local artists and groups who help us diversify our cultural offerings,” said Mayor Kassandra Gove. “I truly appreciate the work that our Cultural Council does to expand arts and culture opportunities to all residents, to engage our youth and to continue to promote Amesbury as a hub for artists.”
For more information on the grant program and the application process, please visit the Amesbury Cultural Council’s website. Follow the Amesbury Cultural Council on Facebook for updates on these and other programs.
The Amesbury Cultural Council is a board of the City of Amesbury, and is looking for more volunteers and voting members. If you’re interested in getting more involved, you can attend one of their meetings (1st Tuesday of each month at 6:30pm in the lobby of 14 Cedar Street). To join the Cultural Council as a voting member, you must be appointed by the Mayor. Applications for appointment are located on the City’s website, and can be submitted in person or online.