What if the Officiant is from out of state?

An out of state Officiant must obtain a Certificate of Authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. The Officiant must attach this certificate to the original license and returned to the clerk of the city or town where the license is issued. For further information, contact: Division of Public Records, Secretary of the Commonwealth, One Ashburton Place, Room 1719, Boston, MA 02108 or 617-727-2836 or online.

Show All Answers

1. Is there a waiting period?
2. May you marry before the three day waiting period for good reason?
3. Are medical certificates required before a license can be issued?
4. Do the parties have to be a certain age?
5. What is the fee?
6. What if one or both parties are divorced?
7. What are the responsibilities of the Officiant (member of the clergy or justice of the peace)?
8. What if the Officiant is from out of state?
9. Is it possible for a layperson to solemnize a wedding?