Inspectional Services

Residential and Commercial Permits

The City of Amesbury implemented OpenGov for all residential and commercial permit applications and renewals, including sign permits and fence permits. Paper applications will no longer be accepted.

City Ordinances 

For questions about many regulations, including sidewalks obstructions, please view the City ordinances.

Trash & Dumpsters

Regulations regarding trash and recycling, especially for the Central Business District, can be found under the Department of Public Works. Dumpster permits must be obtained by DPW.

Inspectional service permitting disclaimer for electric, plumbing, and gas permits:

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits at this time will only be issued to Massachusetts licensed plumbers, gasfitters, or electricians. Permits are issued in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws - MGL 143-3L in the case of wiring permits and MGL 142-13 in the case of plumbing and gas permits. Homeowners cannot apply for any of these types of permits at this time. In accordance with M.G.L. c. 147,s.57-61, security work requires Department of Public Safety “S” License.